Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Making creatures with Bobby Yeah


Header might be misleading and I apologize that I am not with Bobby. Bobby Yeah is a stop motion animated short horror film by Robert Morgan. First time I watched the film was almost 4 years ago and I think it's still one of the creepiest and weirdest things I've seen. It’s about a subhuman creature, Bobby, who after stealing an important pet, experiences nightmarish scenarios.

In an interview, Robert stated that the film was pure imagination after experiencing 4 years of creative frustration. He explained that he used to over analyze his scripts to death and he was tired of people asking what's the meaning behind it. For this project he didn't have rules, if he had an idea and it sounded interesting it was going in, he would worry about it later. Using the frustration as a tool to release all of the build up is interesting to see the outcome has the anger in it. This kind of strong feeling with a pure imagination is surely needed for the creativity to bloom.

Characters from Bobby Yeah: a malevolent baby and Bobby

I wanted to make a creature inspired by the short film. I have been very fascinated by it.The character models are designed with a way that you can almost feel them. Combination of texture, sound and movement make them look super gross but intriguing. I'm quite interested in making 3D models so I opened Blender and went with it. My goal would be to make this amazing character model with animation, textures and the surrounding scene. Did Not work.. IT LOOKED LIKE A GUMMY..I gave it a fair shot and honestly I was just lacking the skill and I didn’t have the time to look up tutorials from Youtube. I don't have any idea why I thought that I could do all of that with such a short time period and without enough experience. I still want to challenge myself to make a scene in blender with all of the fineries but next time I'll make it simple.


 my gummies:



I pulled my trusty Wacom tablet and opened Photoshop. Went a lot more smoother. I didn't quite catch the Bobby yeahs style but I am pretty satisfied with the outcome. Creature lore? It's a lamp. Big baby lamp.


My process:









No comments:

Post a Comment

spoops my favorite

I like to play horror as many of you may know, so I am here to post couple of cool creature designs from games that I know or at least comes...