Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Nuzlocke challenge makes Pokemon more interesting


Some games already have the aspect of completing different challenges and have the trophy system supporting it e.g. if you play with a harder difficulty setting the game will grant you a golden trophy or a secret ending. Fan challenges are still the best, you can modify them as you like and they are usually thought of very cleverly bearing in mind they have a lot of testers who give the needed feedback.


I'm very keen on doing challenges in games, because it changes the gameplay completely. That is why I was up to trying the nuzlocke challenge. Each generation of Pokemon games follows the same mechanics and rules in the world; it can make the experience quite boring and the challenge is just what I wanted to keep my attention high. When every generation is getting more easier and easier, it adds the extra spice. The nuzlocke challenge is to make Pokemon games more intense and make the difficulty harder. 


Rules:

-Adding the first wild Pokemon to your team you encounter from each area. 

-You can’t catch Pokemon you encounter from the same area.

-Any Pokemon that faints is released aka they are considered dead.

-You have to name every Pokemon you catch for adding sentimental value.


To these rules you can add more rules to make it even harder, but I decided to only have these. My first try with the challenge was me playing Pokemon shield so the wild Pokemon rule is a bit different because you can see the Pokemon unlike in the previous games. I chose to close my eyes and just run in some direction and hope to have an encounter.

The game started quite nice, I didn’t have any difficulties and nobody from my team died for maybe 2 hours. In sword/shield games nuzlocke challenge is easier also considering how easily you can level up your Pokemon this due to the game emphasizing the adventure aspect of it and easily switching different types of Pokemon which was quite difficult in previous games, level upping was much harder. That's why I think that nuzlocke is the perfect challenge for sword and shield though it wasn't as hard as it would be in the other Pokemon games. 

Even when my team members died one after another, in my previous game sessions with Pokemon games I really didn't switch up the team and I ended up  trying some not so preferred Pokemon. It made every Pokemon matter more and not just dumping them to the storage system and forgetting them. It also made me to think in more strategy vise trying to keep my children alive. My experience shattered me completely after camping with my friends, making curry and playing with them. At the end I couldn't ditch my friends, it was getting emotionally too hard to release them and I did cry couple of times. Still even me crying over my dead pals it made the game more interesting and immersive. Having consequences had me more interested even in the story and really live the trainer life.






Special thanks to these troope
rs that got wiped b
y literal cupcakes, RIP.


Baby, Munakokkeli, Frootloops, Sauske, Sir, and Herra Hattu



2 comments:

  1. We started to play the new Pokemon as well in here, me in the comfort zone reviving my pocket pets, and boi challenging himself with nuzlocke and me watching his gameplay - i must say it's more interesting with those set of rules :D Being as old school as I am, I simply couldn't help myself from catching them all! Maybe someday I'll replay Sword and I'll try nuzlocke ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess!! Please try! It's fun, but remember to not play alone cause you will need the support when your pokemon dies :'(

    ReplyDelete

spoops my favorite

I like to play horror as many of you may know, so I am here to post couple of cool creature designs from games that I know or at least comes...